"Make it a rule never to give a child a book you would not read yourself."
George Bernard Shaw
I was at the doctors clinic this afternoon with my children and as I watched them play and argue, a thought crossed my mind...What if we could treat ourselves as we treat our /little children? What would be important to take care of? What would we be mindful of?
So I made a list of what is important to me when raising my children and wondered if I could use the same to raise myself. Please feel free to make your own lists based on your values.
So here goes -
MY TOP 10 TIPS TO RAISE MY CHILDREN / MYSELF!
1. Make a priority.
2. Have structure, routine and goals.
3. Nourish with healthy foods.
4. Build immunity and character, safeguard against negative influences (including internal/ external self talk).
5. Focus on 3 Rs ( the math is very important now that I have my own company) as well as respect and resilience.
6. Pay attention to, and make sure needs are being met.
7. Understand how important "time out"/ "me time" is.
8. Be supportive, encouraging and compassionate.
9. Celebrate milestones.
10. Love unconditionally and if that's not always possible be loving and kind.
In the words of Angela Schwindt, "While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."